CN Rail Motive Power Facilities
Ernst Hansch Construction Ltd. has worked as a general contractor with CN Rail on a number of projects since 1973, mainly at the CN Transcona Shops and Symington Yard facilities. One of the contracts awarded to Ernst Hansch Construction Ltd. by CN was the Consolidation of their Motive Power Facilities at the Transcona Shops.
This large volume, open span structure facility incorporated the transfer table, sandblasting and painting station, maintenance shop, electrical shop, welding shop, wash station, parts / storage, battery shop, fueling station and petroleum, paint and lubrication storage services. The maintenance area was equipped with an overhead crane system and multiple jib cranes for material transfer and boxcar repair. The maintenance portion of the building is accessed through an air lock system and high-speed rubber roll-up door that required a high volume ventilation system for rapid, complete air changes within the space.
In addition to the warehouse component, the project also included a dedicated office area. This multi-use building has facilities for 400 plus workers including cafeteria facilities, training and lecture areas, locker area and an office component all located on the second floor.
Some of the other projects completed by Ernst Hansch Construction Ltd. for CN are:
- – Work Equipment Building “A”
- – Rail Welding Plant
- – Rail Conveyor
- – Wheel Shop Extension
- – Office Facilities
- – Grit Blast Plant Expansion
- – Consolidation of Transcona Shops “H” – “J”
- – Heat Treatment & Quenching Facility Coupler Repair Shop
- – Round House Demolition
- – Construction Rehab at East Mezzanine of Car Shop
- – Storey Addition – Forge Shop
- – Administration Building Demolition
- – Symington Car Shop – Track Repair Facility
- – Symington Yards – miscellaneous Door and Window Replacements
- – Air Brake Shop Relocation in Car Shop
- – Seine River Bridge
- – Tunnel Remediation
- – Relocation of Underground Services
- – Main Shop Storage Building